Monday, July 27, 2020

Konami/Stern Scramble Cap Kit

Well, I found what looks to be a 100% original Scramble cabinet that I am bringing back to life.  I got a new grommet for the original Leaf Joystick.  I also used the "Soak in hydrogen peroxide in the sun" trick to bring the yellowed buttons back to their original whiteness.  I'm currently working on a Cap Kit and rebuild of the monitor (HOT and Flyback too).  And, the board has the graphics right, and starts with the audio right, but then a few seconds into a game... goes to a horrible screeching static.

I actually have a spare Scramble.  And while I have the soldering stuff set up, I figured I'd cap kit the two boards too.  See if that helps them at all.  Steve at www.arcadeshop.com said he'd make me a cap kit if I documented the locations for him, so I decided to do it right.

So, here's the documentation on the capacitors on a Scramble board for doing a cap kit.  I'll put the big pictures of the entire boards, with map annotations, at the end.

The locations are called out via a grid system.  Grid is not uniform on top/bottom boards.

Total Caps needed...
One 16V 220uf
Two 16V 10uF
Two 10V 220uF
One 25V 47uF
Two 25V 100uF

Bottom/Big board - L-1200-2
1,J/K - 16V 220uf
5/6,D - 16V 10uF
6/7, F - 10V 220uF
10,P - 16V 10uF

Top/Small board - L-1200-1
1, A/B - 25V 47uF
1, K -10V 220uF
2, A - 25V 100uF
2, A - 25V 100uF
 
(Note, location 2,A is underneath the metal plate.  This location shows the only difference in the motherboards I can find, other than a Japanese symbol printed on one board.  This one show a 2K resistor, but the other shows a 4.7K resistor.  On the 2K board, the pot next to it is small.  On the 2K version, it's large.  The board pinouts are the same shape here.  Gonna assume maybe 2 different resistances on the pots required this?  The board with the 2k also has 7 screws and 3 posts on the protective plate.  The one with 4.7k has 6 screws and 2 posts.)
 

Both of the board sets I have are nearly identical except for the pots above, the metal plates, and the one board has a Japanese symbol in the corner.  The ROMs are labelled the same, but the labels are cut differently (by hand) and have a different pen for what I assume is the quality check.


(Click to Expand)

(Click to Expand)

(Click to Expand)


No comments:

Triple boot iMac with Snow Leopard, El Capitan, and Batocera... Notes, Tips, Tricks, and Hints

Well, well, well.   I think I got it?  Use my notes at your own risk.  BACK UP BEFORE PARITIONING AND ERASE HD DATA! Here's the basics f...