Monday, January 28, 2008

What have I gotten myself into??? Cap hellllllp?

Disclaimer: Any dirt on the board is a combination between Nicotine and fried dog hair.

NOTE: All pictures are bigger if you just click on them.

I told my in-laws during the New Years weekend I'd try to fix their TV for them. Ah, smart Jon. I have a 32", 7 year old TV sitting upside down on a card table in my garage. Where my car should be. That was 3-4 weeks ago. Kids suck the time out of you. Putting a heater in an uninsulated garage when it's 20 degrees out - that takes the oomph out of you. Finally got into it this weekend when it hit 60F out.

Anyway... symptoms were that it started snapping to a horizontal line, then now it's down to just the power supply "clicking".

So, I got it open, reflowed what I could get to on the neckboard. (On the left)

No help. So, I decided maybe I could reflow the main board. But, I had to take it out. Took me a bit, and here's my reward... I think it's a slightly bulged cap. This one's big. Almost 2 inches high. It's in the powersupply section.




On the right side, there are two parallel traces coming down to some leads pointing up and then down (about 1/3 of the way down, under the "+" by the words "HOT\COLD")). That's where the big cap goes through.

Here's the detail on it. The "flashes" of brown are nicotine stains I haven't cleaned yet. But, on the left (the very left of the white line down the center), is where I think the capacitor "goo" is.Even worse, on the lower left side of the shot above, there is even more "goo". (I can't find the cap this would have come from. None of the others look even slightly "bulgy".)

So, this is where I'm at. I have never seen a blown cap before. I assume this is what it looks like, but I'm not sure. I don't even know if fixing a cap would fix the TV. Or, even where I'd buy the cap kit.

What have I gotten myself into? LOL *sigh*

No comments:

Triple boot iMac with Snow Leopard, El Capitan, and Batocera... Notes, Tips, Tricks, and Hints

Well, well, well.   I think I got it?  Use my notes at your own risk.  BACK UP BEFORE PARITIONING AND ERASE HD DATA! Here's the basics f...